Makes 6-8 individual pizza's or 1 large pizza
1 ¼ cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp dried yeast granules
2 tbsp oil
1 cup self-raising flour 2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
Pre-heat oven to 220 ° C
Measure the water and sugar into a mixing bowl or food processor bowl. Stir to dissolve – double-check water is lukewarm then add the yeast. Mix briefly again and leave to stand for at least 5 minutes until the yeast starts to bubble.
Combine the oil, flours and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the bubbling yeast mixture and mix well. Add a little extra flour if necessary to make a dough that is firm enough to turn out and knead on a floured board. Knead until smooth and satiny, then cut dough into 6-8 pieces for individual pizzas or one large round.
Roll portions of dough to form 15-18 cm circle and place on baking paper covered cooking trays. Leave to stand a few minutes while preparing the toppings. Bake until dough is golden brown around the edges and lightly browned underneath (10-15 minutes).
Toppings: any combinations of the following can be used -
- tomato paste, spaghetti or pasta sauce, can of spaghetti or baked beans
- grated or sliced mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- lightly sauteed onions or sliced red or green capsicums
- fresh tomatoes and/or mushrooms
- sprinkling of herbs, e.g. dried thyme, oreganum, basil etc
- can of pineapple (drained)
- bacon, or other left-over cooked meats (sausages, ham, chicken, mince, corned meat etc)